Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Favourite Things (spelling indicates a Brit author)

The following came from someone as a comment to the Shrove Tuesday Ritual Notes post. Inasmuch as you better had get all the laughs and Alleluias out of your system now, I though it best to post it separately today. It was written by one of my favorite writers, a prolific fellow who has been at it for centuries trying his hand quite successfully at both lyrics and music.

A Few of My Favourite Things
to the tune from the Sound of Music song of the same name by Rogers and Hammerstein.
(in honour of Shrove Tuesday)

Sackcloth and ashes,
and days without eating,
Mortification and wailing and weeping,
A hair shirt that scratches,
a nettle that stings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Penitence, flagellants, memento mori,
Spending nights sleeping on rocks in a quarry,
The sound of a cloak'd solemn cantor who sings,
These are still more of my favorite things.

Tossing and turning and yearning I'm spurning,
Passions aflame like an ember day burning,
Corpus and carnis and wild drunken flings,
Forsaken are they for my favorite things!

When it's Christmas,
When the tree's lit,
When the cards are sent,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I can't wa-a-a-a-it till Lent.

-Anonymous

No comments: