Wednesday, November 12, 2008

For kings and all in authority

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (I Timohty 2:1-4)
.
In my e-mail inbox I receive many items from people who fear that the President-Elect of the United States is either a Muslim, a Marxist, or the Antichrist, or perhaps all three at once as well an invader from Mars (and that despite a good Irish name like O'bama). I do not know about all of these claims, but I do know he is a sinner. I know that I am firmly against things he has voted for both before and after becoming a U.S. Senator, and that I dislike many of the policies he has endorsed or promised to establish. I will not give him a pass when politics and morality overlap, especially on abortion.
.
Nonetheless, he could not possibly be worse than Nero Caesar, who was ruling at the time St. Paul wrote the words that are quoted above. Let us pray for Barak Obama every day, especially you who are Americans.
.
O LORD our Governor, whose glory is in all the world; We commend this nation to thy merciful care, that being guided by thy Providence, we may dwell secure in thy peace. Grant to THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, and to all in Authority, wisdom and strength to know and to do thy will. Fill them with the love of truth and righteousness; and make them ever mindful of their calling to serve this people in thy fear; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen.
(Book of Common Prayer 1928 edition, American)

3 comments:

poetreader said...

AMEN!

ed

Osmund Kilrule said...

Anathema sint! Confound their politicks, Frustrate their knavis tricks!

Anonymous said...

This is a real test of loving your enemy, and one that I'm not exactly passing with flying colors.