Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy 2nd Birthday to The Continuum

It was two years ago today that I created The Continuum, and there is much cause for celebration.

In the past 24 months we have gone a long way toward becoming the preeminent site for news, commentary and catechesis on the continuing Anglican movement.

We have perhaps also helped to open new channels toward reconciliation among the various jurisdictions that make up the movement. But in the end, whether we have or not, we have certainly provided a forum where all the faithful -- through their observations and their suggestions -- can contribute to that most desirable goal of unity.

We have also provided a fountain of spiritual wisdom and teaching, and it is my hope that this will flow even more fully in the year to come.

My second hope for the coming year is that we begin to fulfill a challenge that we set for ourselves, which is to provide more practical guidandce on how to carry out Our Lord's Great Commission. If we fail to do that, then all else is but the clanging of cymbals.

None of what we have achieved could have been achieved without the sterling efforts of my co-hosts -- Father Robert Hart, Father Matthew Kirby and Ed Pacht. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you have done.

We would also not be where we are if it were not for our increasingly devoted group of core readers and the ever-growing number of new ones. My profoundest thanks also to you. In particular, I would like to observe that, except in a few isolated cases, you have all honoured our ground rules of being a forum for "robust, but polite, discussion," and you should feel proud of your contributions.

I am far from home at the moment, so do not have access to the monthly statistics I have kept on the blog, but I can tell you that readership has grown exponentially since The Continuum was born. Monthly readership in October 2006 was around 2,500; last month it reached nearly 11,000!

God grant that we continue to grow in His service.

AMDG

Albion Land

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a happy birthday to you (as it were), too, Albion! How wonderful that you have a handsome new smile with which to celebrate the occasion. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love this blog. Indeed, I think I've grown to love this blog as much as my car loves the petrol pump--which is to say that it has become a necessary refuelling station. Keep up the good work, all of you, and keep us together.

Alice C. Linsley said...

I visit many blogs and so I have a basis of comparison. When I visit The Continuum I am refreshed, challenged and informed. I also feel the strengthening bond that Christians in the catholic tradition should feel. I never fear having to read idle babbling or personal attacks here. May God continue to bless this work!

Warwickensis said...

Glory be, is it really two years?

Well done Albion, Ed and Fathers and thanks for all the good work.

Here's to next year! Any plans?

Anonymous said...

Albion:
Your blog has certainly been a bright spot in my life. Thanks for all your hard work.

Blessings,
David Straw

Albion Land said...

Thanks, Jonathan.

Plans? Rupert Murdoch approached me and offered a buy-out, but I told him no.

Nothing concrete, really. But, as I said, we must begin putting more focus on the Great Commission. And there is someone in Virginia who, I hope, is working on that very matter as I write.