Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Reds Under the Bed?

It's nice to be talked about, even if for the wrong reasons. I found the following comment and reply over at Free Republic http://www.freerepublic.com. I won't comment on my own politics -- they're none of anyone's business -- but I think a regular reading of The Continuum will allay any fears of "Reds under the bed" around here. That said, I wonder if there is some reason to consider it unnatural having political liberals in a continuing church. Comments?

-------
I'm not so sure that this blog should be recommended. The top item refers to the folks who went to Iraq to generate some anti-American propaganda as "Peacemakers" who have "been striving for the betterment of life in Iraq."

-----
The second is a good point and so the blog is worth watching. Liberalism is not unknown in the Continuum churches (even my own! and from parishioners who have definitely long been part of our church family). But I will not toss it on one element alone. Note also: "I had expressed discomfort with women’s ordination and outright opposition to the ordination of practicing homosexuals to Holy Orders."
I, for one, would hate to be held to account and forever labeled for every mis-expression I've made.
Let's give the bloggers here at Continuum some time. There's little enough, as Will at Prydain notes, coming from the Continuing Churches. If we see here a leftist element, it's quite worth watching; if it's a misstatement we'll see that soon enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In politics a Christian cannot really be a 'party line' person, whatever the party he tends to identify with. A Christian has to be a person of conscience, seeking ways to apply the Everlasting Gospel to the affairs of his time, and this will not be easy, nor will it be without controversy.

I consider myself a conservative, but find myself dramatically out of accord with many of the policies of a supposedly conservative government, as well as wretchedly uncomfortable with a lot of the accomplishments of past liberal activists. This is not a Christian world, and the truly thinking Christian will always be the odd man out, and will find himself under the disapproval of many. from all sides. "Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and speak ill of you falsely for my sake . . ."

If, under these conditions, we did not have some variance in political philosophy and proposals, we would rightly be seen as a dead movement.

ed

Anonymous said...

Wow! "Red Albion" is already subject of a cyber dossier. Well, what can you expect--floating in among those notoriously leftist Christian traditionalists! :-)

Remember, Big Brother is watching YOU!